Mood

Mood (grammar)

Mood is a property of a verb that tells a reader whether a sentence is a statement, a question, a request, or a wish. There are three primary moods in English: the indicative, the imperative, and the subjunctive.

Indicative Mood

Most sentences are in the indicative mood. It is used to make statements, express opinions, and ask questions.

The sky is blue.
I think the sky is blue.
Is the sky blue?


Imperative Mood

The imperative mood signals that a sentence is a request or a command. The subject of an imperative sentence is sometimes omitted; in the following example, the subject is understood to be you.

Tell me the color of the sky.

Subjunctive Mood

The subjunctive mood is used primarily for expressing wishes and conditions that are contrary to fact. (For more information, see Subjunctive Mood.)

If I were king, I would make the sky purple.

Shifts in Mood

In sentences with more than one verb, avoid shifting from one mood to another.

Incorrect: Look at the sky, and you will tell me its color. [imperative to indicative]
Correct: Look at the sky, and tell me its color.
Or: You will look at the sky and tell me its color.

4 comments:

Aashi siva 31 May 2017 at 00:08

Someone essentially lend a hand to make severely posts I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular submit incredible. Fantastic job!
MSBI Training in Chennai
Oracle Apps Training in Chennai
PHP Apps Training in Chennai

kabeesha 13 June 2018 at 02:37

Its really an Excellent post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for sharing....

Herbalife in chennai
Wellnesscentre in chennai
Nutrition center in chennai
Weight loss in chennai
Weight gain in chennai

Anonymous 1 August 2018 at 21:45


SQream Technologies provides you with a state of the art software which combines

modern GPU technology (Graphic Processing Units) with the best practices in today’s

Big Data platforms, providing up to 100x faster insights from data.
Bigdata

course

Unknown 28 November 2018 at 02:51

thanks for giving that type of information. ielts coaching in gurgaon