Conjunctions

Conjunctions

A conjunction is a word that connects other words, phrases, clauses, or sentences.

He is neither an officer nor a gentleman.
After I cleaned the counter and mopped the floor, I was ready to cook.
James would have gone to the party, but he forgot to pick up his tux.
They studied for days; however, they did not do well on the test.


Conjunctions and Parallelism

The items joined by a conjunction should be of a similar form or have a parallel construction.

Incorrect: I like swimming and to run.
Correct: I like swimming and running.
Or: I like to swim and to run.


Overuse of Conjunctions

If a sentence contains three or more clauses connected by conjunctions, consider breaking it into several sentences.

Unwieldy: Mike went home at midnight and Alice left an hour ago, but Joseph is still here because he has work to do.
Better: Mike went home at midnight, and Alice left an hour ago. Joseph, however, is still here because he has work to do.


Conjunctions at the Beginning of a Sentence

Beginning a sentence with and or but can give an added emphasis to the words that follow.

On Tuesday, we said our last good-bye. And that was all there was left to say.

You should use this device sparingly, however. Except in fiction and informal correspondence, it is almost always best not to begin a sentence with a conjunction.

Awkward: Joshua lent me all the money he had. But I still did not have enough for my ticket home.
Better: Joshua lent me all the money he had, but I still did not have enough for my ticket home.

0 comments: