Correlative Conjunctions

A correlative conjunction is a pair of conjunctions that are always used together. Examples include both…and, either…or, neither…nor, not only…but also, and whether…or.

Do not substitute another word for either part of these pairs.

Incorrect: Both Jamie or I did the assignment.
Correct: Both Jamie and I did the assignment.
Or: Either Jamie or I did the assignment.


The parts of a correlative conjunction should be placed in comparable positions within the sentence. For instance, you may insert both before a verb or both after a verb, but you should not position one before and one after.

Incorrect: Jeffrey neither enjoys boating nor swimming.
Correct: Jeffrey enjoys neither boating nor swimming.
Or: Jeffrey neither enjoys boating nor enjoys swimming.


The items linked by correlative conjunctions should be of similar form or have parallel constructions.

Incorrect: I will reach the island by either boat or air.
Correct: I will reach the island by either boat or airplane.
Or: I will reach the island by either sea or air.

0 comments: