Dangling Modifiers

A modifying phrase is said to dangle if the word or phrase it modifies is missing or unclear.

Incorrect: When just one year old, my mother heard my first word.
Incorrect: Running across home base, the crowd cheered for the player.


In the first example, the modified word, I, is implied but not stated. In the second, crowd, instead of player, appears to be the modified word.

One way to correct a dangler is to place the modified word or phrase directly after the modifier.

Correct: When just one year old, I spoke my first word to my mother.
Correct: Running across home base, the player was cheered by the crowd.


Another is to delete the dangler and replace it with a clause in which the modified word or phrase is the subject.

Correct: When I was just one year old, my mother heard my first word.
Correct: When the player ran across home base, the crowd cheered for him.


Some phrases that appear to be dangling modifiers in fact modify entire sentences. Examples include all things considered and phrases that start with considering, given that, owing to, providing that, judging that, and speaking of.

All things considered, she would rather go home.
Speaking of the weather, I hope it doesn’t rain today.

0 comments: